The breakdown of a marriage or civil partnership can be very upsetting for all concerned and especially children. We can assist you with initial advice and thereafter if you wish with all the steps necessary to obtain a divorce/ dissolution of partnership, either as the petitioner (the person who starts the divorce process) or the respondent (the person who receives the divorce papers). We will at the same time assist you with any children or financial issues.

You cannot apply for a divorce/ dissolution until you have been married/ in a partnership for at least 12 months. You may separate before then, but the petition cannot be submitted to the court to start the divorce. You have to satisfy the court that the marriage/ partnership has irretrievably broken down, and you will base this on 1 of 5 facts.

If all goes well the divorce/ dissolution can be ready for the ‘decree absolute’ (this actually ends the marriage/ partnership) within 6 months.

There may be times when we advise you not to apply for this, especially if it has not been possible to resolve any financial matters.

Civil Partnerships

A civil partnership gives you the same rights as heterosexual couples. If your relationship has broken down you can apply to the court for an order dissolving the partnership. The dissolution process follows that of a Divorce.

LEGAL AID is not available unless you can prove domestic violence within the last 24 months and meet the financial limits

For an appointment complete our contact form or ring 01493 857621 and ask for Laura Newson