At Chamberlins we believe you should obtain legal advice as soon as possible if your relationship has broken down. There are many issues to consider including advice about any children of the relationship and/or property and other assets.

It is important for children that they are kept out of disputes between adults as much as possible. The children have a right to see the parent that does not live with them on a regular basis, and this should include overnight contact.

If you are not married you do not have an automatic right to a share of the assets accumulated during the relationship, unless you can prove the asset is a joint one. For example if the home is in the sole name of your partner that person can sell the property and keep all of the money received,  unless you get a court order saying otherwise.

Legal Aid is not available for situations of relationship breakdown unless there has been Domestic Violence within the last 24 months, and you meet the financial limitations.

For an appointment complete our contact form or ring 01493 857621 and ask for Laura Newson